Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Plexi Glass Eiffel Tower ~ MAMA Swap

One of the many projects I made this month for swaps is this Plexi Glass Eiffel Tower.  It is for a MAMA swap, we were asked to use a template of the Eiffel Tower, place it on a box and fill the box with goodies. 
Now of course I had to make it super hard on myself and not use paper.  I got this idea in my head that it would be great in glass, but then switched to plexi glass because I had some. 
I wanted to make each tear different and fun.  The top tear is very skinny and the butterflies I got a little too fat so they didn't go as high into the tower as I wanted.  I made the star from paper clay and painted it to match the top of the box, it has a gold sheen to it. 
For the middle tear I made a clay cupcake using a tutorial by Garden of Imagination and a crown using the concepts from  tutorial by Rook No. 17
The base I filled with clay flowers that I made.  I put together a tutorial for these about a year ago, you can view it HERE.  Make sure to check out my other tutorials, click the Tutorial tab under my banner.
I had to put each layer together separately, allow for them to completely dry and then add the next one.  I'm not 100% pleased with how the plexi glass sealant dried, it is clear but I can still see it. 
For the base of the box I decided to go with a "Spring in Paris" type feel.  I didn't want to put anything on the top of the box to detract from my tower. 
I used a floral fabric for the background, lots of flowers, small white picket fence (that I grunged up a bit), and butterflies (the same ones I used in the top of the tower).
I love the 3D aspect.  For the trim around the box I used 2 shades of seam binding and strung together some off white pearls. 
Filled it to the brim with goodies I hope my partner will like.  I visited her blog to see what colors she leans towards and it was creams and pinks.  So that is what I tried to give her.

I tossed in some other fun things, a French decorated soap bar and a large glittery crown. 
 
I learned a lot making this creation about my limits and how driven I am to get things to look the way I want them.  I love pushing the boundaries of what I know and what has been done and I think I did a good job with this creation, not great, but with some more practice maybe I can get it better.

4 comments:

AppleApricot Wen said...

Wow wow WOW, that's amazing!!! You really have a lot of surprising bunnies in your hat, this is so inspiring and unique again. So don't be too hard on yourself sweetie, you're doing a great job over there!

big hug and happy day,
Wendy

Unknown said...

OMGosh I love this! It is really beautiful.

Kim @ This Belle Rocks said...

Very pretty! I'm nowhere near this creative!

Wendy Aspinall said...

I'm still wiping the drool off my key pad.... Caroline when you said glass i thought i wondered how you were going to do it ... and wow! did you do it...`*.¸.*´ ¸.•´¸.•*¨`*. ¸.•*¨*.¸¸.•*¨`*•
(¸¸¸.•*¨`*•.•´*.¸.•´* .•´*¸¸.•*¨`*• It is STUNNING!

Love it! thanks for taking part

`*.¸.*´ ¸.•´¸.•*¨`*. ¸.•*¨*.¸¸.•*¨`*•
(¸¸¸.•*¨`*•.•´*.¸.•´* .•´*¸¸.•*¨`*• ♥♥ hugs wendy