Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Perfume Bottle Resin Tutorial

I fell in love with Ice Resin the minute I got my hands on it.
click the above image to purchase Ice Resin from
Alpha Stamps
But I don't make jewelry; so how to make Ice Resin a part of my artwork? 
Well, that's simple!  I use a similar technique as that used for open-backed bezel pieces.
Step 1:
Cover a piece of mat board or chipboard with decorative paper using rubber cement. 
(My paper is from the Lyric 6x6 Paper Pad)
Step 2:
Cut desired shape out of covered board.
I used one of the Chipboard Potion Bottles as a template.
Step 3:
Stain the visible edges with permanent ink.
Step 4:
Cover the back with clear packaging tape.
Click on any image to enlarge them
You might need more than one piece of packaging tape to make a wide enough piece.  Make sure your seam is clean, no bubbles/wrinkles. 
Press firmly along the edges.
Step 5:
Following the instructions in the Ice Resin Kit; mix your Ice Resin.
 
You might want to have a mold or two (like these) on standby in case you have left over resin, no sense in wasting it when you can make some embellishments.
Step 6:
Pull together your mix-ins (let Ice Resin sit for about 5 Minutes before adding colors)
I'm using Pearl Ex powders to color the resin and will be adding some Glass Spheres to look like bubbles.
Add a small amount of Pearl Ex and fold it in for about 1 minute,
if you need more color add it now and then fold again.
Once you've achieved the desired color, stir for an additional 2 minutes.
I used two colors,
For my second color I just barely folded it in and let it sit again for 5 minutes.
Step 7:
Pour colored Ice Resin into opening.
Pour slowly, the resin spreads slowly and you don't want it to spill over the lip.
Step 8:
Add any items you want to dry into the resin
(IE: Collage Images, Paper Flowers, Metal Flowers, an assortment of Charms). 
I chose to use Glass Beads, for a bubble effect.
 
Step 9:
Allow to dry completely
anywhere between 6 hrs and overnight
(10 hrs).
 
 Step 10:
Flip the piece over and remove the packaging tape carefully.
 
Check it out, now you have a see through bottle built into your paper art.
Let me know if you have any questions. 
I hope you enjoy and create something fabulous using this tutorial.
 
Come back next thursday, April 25th, and I will show you how I finished up this project!

5 comments:

HI! I'm Tabitha said...

does ice resin have a funk??? I wanna order some but am very leary

Magaly Guerrero said...

My eyes are telling me that something smells delicious around here ;-)

I've nominated for an award. I'm not sure if you accept them, it's okay if you don't. I just wanted to, first, let you know that I love your eclectic blogging ways, and then I wanted to send people your way because I love sharing a good thing.

http://pagan-culture.blogspot.com/2013/04/epically-witchy-not-so-random-bits.html

Sunshineshelle said...

Woo!! This is awesome, I think it would be cool to make earrings this way too, I really enjoyed seeing a process explained so even I could follow (I'm instruction challenged LOL) Well done!

Nichola said...

So much fun! I still haven't tried the resin but I don't think that I Can avoid buying it any longer.

AppleApricot Wen said...

Wow Caroline, that's amazing! Thank you for sharing your tutorial. Now I'm really tempted to try my hands on ice resin too :) Hugs, Wendy