Monday, March 4, 2013

How to make an Accordion book with pop ups

Yesterday I shared my Easter Day Parade Pop up book and promised a tutorial. 
Here it is.  As always let me know if you have any questions.
 Step 1: Determine the size of the paper for the accordion section of the book. 
Measure your cover and make the paper just slightly smaller. 
Step 2:
Cut the paper and determine the size of the pages, they should be the same or slightly smaller than the width of your cover.
Step 3:
Fold your paper accordion style with the number of pages you want.
Step 4:
Attach the cover to the accordion paper (you can see some writing on my paper, I used scrap paper since it is going to all get covered).  I like to use Rubber Cement for this, it dries quickly and smoothly.
Step 5:
Once the glue has dried on the inside page trim off any excess paper.
Your book should look something like this. 
Now the fun part, pick out/decide how to decorate your pages.
Step 6:
Here is how I made the images pop.  I cut thing 1/4" pieces of heavy duty paper and folded the ends 1/4" on each end to attach to the image and the book.  The length/how far I wanted to pop them out varies, the small ones you see is 1/4" and the bigger size is 1/2"
Step 7:
Attach the strips to the backs of the images you want to pop up/out
Step 8:
Determine where you want the images then glue the other 1/4" fold to the book.  I used hot glue so it would dry quickly and the images wouldn't shift.
Top view. 
When the book closes the folds bend down or up making the page flat.
Pretty easy huh! 
Now it's your turn. 
Don't forget to share your creations with me. 

Collage Sheet and book cover from Alpha Stamps March Easter Parade Kit

7 comments:

Christina Paul said...

This is so charming! Love it! I've never tried one but this is inspiring :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful book, thank you for the tut.
Coutureuse

Nichola said...

Cute as can be!

cathy said...

Lovely book.

Constance said...

This tutorial was wonderful! I can't wait to make one of these books. Thanks a bunch. :-)

Jess said...

This is beautiful!

Kim Gillian said...

This is so beautiful! I LOVE IT! Wonderful job, as always!