Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Strawberry Crepe Cupcakes with Hazelnut Buttercream Frosting


For every special occasion a little girl deserves a special cupcake.  My oldest had a picnic at school that had a special reminder not to forget desert.  So I didn't! 

Kayde loves Strawberries, if she could she would eat nothing but strawberries and she has fallen in love with my new way of making frosting.  So this is what I came up with for her.

Strawberry Crepe Cupcakes
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar (and more for strawberry's)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
12 strawberries
lemon juice
cornstarch


Pre-heat oven to 350 and line cupcake tin with wrappers

Cut strawberries and heat them with a tiny bit of lemon juice, a tablespoon or 2 of sugar, a small amount of cornstarch (sifted).  Heat until the mixture thickens.  Sorry I do this all my sight and taste, don't be afraid to taste it!  You want to make sure you get the right amount of sugar.

Whisk butter, yogurt, eggs and vanilla together

In a separate bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Slowly add this to the wet ingredients stirring constantly.

Fill cupcakes 1/4 full, Spoon in strawberry mixture, top with remaining batter

Bake 20-25 minutes

Hazelnut Buttercream Frosting
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cup whole milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup butter at room temp.
1 tsp vanilla
3 tablespoons Nutella

In a saucepan whisk flour and sugar together (sift flour first), add milk and cream, cook over medium heat until boils and thickens

Transfer to a bowl and beat on high until cool (about 10 minutes)

Turn mixer to low and add butter a little at a time, when all in increase the speed and beat until light and fluffy

Add Vanilla and Nutella and mix until incorporated


As an added bonus, and because I had left over strawberries, I topped the cupcakes with chocolate covered strawberries.  I think this was my daughters favorite part.

1 comment:

Karen B. said...

Hi Caroline,
I have not been able to e-mail you due to your spam blocker.

Karen B. ~ Todolwen