Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday Munchies: Shrimp Gumbo

Mr. Glitter Tart had a hankering for Gumbo last week.  I've never made Gumbo so it was off to the internet to search out the best recipe. We decided on an Alton Brown, Mr. Glitter Tart's favorite food network chef.
 
But when I got into the cooking process I realized that I wasn't following his recipe at all.  I did however make my roux the way he suggested. I say make, not the same ingredients.
 
For my roux:
4 oz butter
4 oz flour
 
Place the butter and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process.
This is the color of my roux at the end of the cooking time.
 
Gumbo Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds shrimp (I had to use frozen it's all that was available) 
  • 2 quarts chicken broth
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 cup diced green peppers
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomato
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt (I didn't need this because my chicken stock was homemade)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 1 pound okra cut into bite sized pieces

Once the roux is done, remove it from the oven and set over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, green peppers and garlic and cook, moving constantly for 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent. Add the tomatoes, salt, black pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves and stir to combine. Gradually add the broth while whisking continually. Decrease the heat to low, cover and cook for 35 minutes. Add the shrimp and sausage and stir to combine.  Cover and let cook on low for a while, I did about 2 hours . Turn heat up and add the okra, cook for about 30 minutes. Serve over rice.
 
Mr. Glitter Tart 5 stars
Me 4 1/2 stars (a bit salty for me)
Kudzu 4 stars
Stinkabeth did not eat it, took one look at it and decided "ewww"
 
So what have you been cooking?

No comments: