Wednesday, May 29, 2013

ATC Accordion Book with cut-outs ~ Video Tutorial

Recently Alpha Stamps challenged us to create a unique ATC sized book and this is what I came up with.
Have you ever wanted to tell a story with your ATC's or just have a coordinating set all in one place?
(For a complete list of supplies used on The Wizard of Oz book see the end of the video.) 
Well, I've created this ATC Accordion Book for just that purpose!
(A complete list of supplies used for the Waterhouse Flowers Book is located at the end of this post.)
To make it even more fun for you I devised a way to add charms!
And Cut outs! 
So you are really making 3 ATC's with each panel.
Here is my video tutorial with step by step instructions on how to make your very own ATC Accordion Book. 
Below the video you will find detailed images of the more complicated part of folding and cutting out the window. 

 
How to fold and cut your 7 cut-out pages
This is covered in the video but I thought more detailed pictures may help.
 Step 1:
Select your 7, 3 1/2" x 5" papers. 
Step 2:
Fold in half with the side you want to show inside the fold.
* I did a special aging treatment on the papers for my Waterhouse inspired ATC Accordion book. You can find a tutorial HERE.  
Do this for all 7.
The folded pages are ATC size.
Step 3:
With the fold crease facing you.  Fold down the loose end to the fold.  This is called a mountain fold because it creates a fold that makes a triangle that stands like a mountain.
Step 4:
Flip the paper over and fold down the remaining long piece.
Do this to all 7. 
 Step 5:
Unfold the paper and lay it as flat as possible on a hard surface.
Inside the mountain folds measure 1/2" and mark that paper.
Step 6:
Fold the mountain folds under and from the crease measure 1/2" in and mark the paper.
Do this for all 7
So you have drawn a cut out that is 1/2" away from all the edges (I consider the mountain fold an edge).
Step 7:
Now it's time to cut. 
Using a sharp exacto knife against a straight edge cut along the lines you have made. 
Do this for all 7
For the next steps please see the video tutorial. 
 
Supplies Used for Waterhouse Flowers ATC Accordion Book
Available from Alpha Stamps
Pearl Mix in a tin


Both of my creations are now on sale in my Etsy Shop
 
Thank you so much for checking out my tutorial. 
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

11 comments:

Artfully Musing said...

Beautiful job!

Rhea said...

Your books are fab and the windows are genius! I am inspired, thanks for sharing.

Corinne Marie said...

Really a great book and creative design. Love the content in both!!

Corinne Marie said...

Amazing books...great content and design!!

Holly M said...

Oh My Stars! This is fantastic. I just left a comment on the video site, but I have to say it again...bravo, huzzah, beautiful!

Tarnished Rose said...

This is awesome. You are so creative!

Marilyn

Unknown said...

Caroline, this is absolutely fabulous. What a creative idea, very detailed video and wow, math. Hmm, have to think about that one But, it is so pretty, I have to think about making it. Great job.

Ricki Treleaven said...

The next time we have coffee (which I hope is soon) I want you to bring just a couple of your creations with you because I want to see them! :D

I hope all's well. We're at the lake, and settling down into a summer routine!

xo,
Ricki Jill

Laurie said...

What fun! Thank you for showing us how you did it!

Diane at Craftin Your HeART Out! said...

This is fabulous!! Thank you so much for the tutorial. Definitely want to make one of these for myself.

Take care
Diane

Chris Arlington said...

This is beautiful! I wonder if I could use double sided tape throughout. I don't have success with glue. I am amazed that you didn't have problems with rubber cement.