Welcome to the final week of this Read Along. I'm so glad you are back or joining us for the first time.
A quick recap as to how this all works, answer the questions below, for each correct response I will enter your name for a chance to win 1 of 3 prizes (a handmade item, a PBS Credit or a $5 Gift certificate from Amazon). You have until Monday January 30th to answer this set of questions.
Leave your answers in a comment with a way for me to get in touch with you.
This weeks Handmade prize is a big one!
This one of a kind, hand died, stamped, painted and ruffled tote. I embellished it with pearls and the ruffle is also hand died. The mermaid and fish are hand painted with a lovely shimmery paint.
1. What is unusual about Lenia's pregnancy?
2. What book is Margarethe reading when Christopher comes to talk to her?
3. Who does Lenia think she sees in Agnes when she is trying to explain that she needs to have the baby early?
4. What do they name the baby? Who is she named after?
5. What price did the sisters have to pay to find out how to save Lenia?
Bonus: If I do another read along what type of book would you like? Historical Fiction, Contemporary Fiction or a Young Adult Science Fiction/ Fantasy (for answering this question you get an extra name in the drawing for this weeks prize)
Discussion (2 and 3 taken from the readers guide at the back of my copy of Mermaid):
1. Do you think the price the sisters had to pay to get the knowledge needed to save Lenia was sufficient? What do you think of the price Lenia had to pay? How much would you pay for a chance at true love?
2. What do you think of retelling of Fairy Tales? Why do you think they are so popular? Do you think there is any special power in taking a known story and envisioning it in a new way?
3. Mermaids are an incredibly popular subject in many cultures. What do you think accounts for there appeal? What makes mermaids such a rich subject for the imagination? Can you think of other books in which mermaids play an important role?