Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Shaby Chic Mini Matchboxes

This month the Circle of Friends had an open theme so I decided to try my hand at a mini matchbox.



I feel in love with one that was sent to me as part of a MAMA swap. Melanie of Artful Interludes created this beauty, since receiving it I've learned how to make the little flowers and went hunting for a bird to use. Alas I had no luck and was about to scrap the entire project when Laura at Artfully Musing put up a fabulous tutorial on how to create your own molds.

So with a lovely box for inspiration, the skill and supplies to make the flowers and a way to create a bird I went to work. This is what I came up with.

I covered the matchboxes with a pink and white decorative paper that I stamped some french script on and dusted a bit with brown ink.

The flowers are made from white crepe paper that I embellished with pink glitter and a pink pearl for the center. The leaves I aged a bit with brown ink.

The birds are paper clay that I left white but added a warm ice glitter to. To hide the seems on the side of the box I glued on some lace ribbon. The finishing touch is a word that I covered with crackle glaze.

Inside I painted the box white, added some pink felt and filled with a little gift.

I can't wait to see what the other members of Circle of Friends created. Open themes are always fun!

On a side note, I made a bunch of extra birds (because I love them sooooooooo much) and I've got some on sale in my Etsy store. So hop on over and check them out! If you mention this post I'll knock off the S&H.

3 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I love matchboxes!
But my fingers get really mad at me working that small~~so I totally appreciate these! The work is lovely and so mush detail.
Bravo!

XXOO~~
Anne

Martica Designs said...

OOOOOooooo love these small matchboxes they are beautiful....

Ann said...

gorgeous-gorgeous-gorgeous!!!