Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wind by Krissi Dallas


Summary:

One fateful summer night …when one rule is broken … five teenagers will discover an unexpected adventure full of magic, romance, and true friendship.

Seventeen-year-old Whitnee has spent six years rebuilding her identity after her father’s mysterious disappearance left her with more questions than answers. With her two best friends, she returns as an employee to the summer camp of her childhood. Nestled in the Texan hill country, Camp Fusion is everything Whitnee remembers … except for the haunting visions that only she can see. One fateful night, Whitnee and her friends embark on a magical journey where unexpected adventure and heart-stopping romance collide - a journey that might unlock the dark, complicated mysteries of Whitnee’s family history. But will she find the answers she is looking for before it is too late?






My Thoughts:

This is Krissi Dallas' debut novel and unfortunately if she doesn't get her act together it may be her last. Except she self published so there will be more.

First let me start with the good. She is very imaginative. In a world that seems to be caught up in Vampires, Fairy's and teen pregnancy books this one stands out. The story is a fresh idea and what she has laid out could end up being as magical as the world of Harry Potter.

However the bad may outweigh all of that. Long winded, overly descriptive, grammatical errors (and if I know there are grammar errors then she is in big trouble!) and it took way to long to get to the "hook" of the book.

The first 100 pages she spends trying to establish relationships, explaining pasts etc...but the heart of the story doesn't start until around page 100 and then you have 200 pages that kinda drag. When I got to the last 100 pages (yep 400 pages of this) I was finally able to overlook the poor writing and really get into the story, in other words she paced the end well.

When the characters return to their "home" the book plummets...it is depressing and once again excruciatingly slow. In my opinion she could have shortened this section significantly or eliminated it all together since she has 3 more novels planned. Working the last 50 pages into her next novel would have left me wanting to read it more.

Right now I am done with this series. However like I said she does have a good idea and If I ever hear that she has improved her writing I may attempt the next one. But it took me 3 weeks to trudge through this, I could only read 5 pages at a time before getting angry with all the mistakes and how I felt "written down" to.

No comments: