Friday, September 18, 2009

"R" Cocktail Napkins


Here is my latest set of cocktail napkins. Once again they are for a wedding gift and it seems very popular right now to have black dishes mixed with pewter accents so in an effort to the napkins "match" the couples china here is what I came up with.

The customer requested that I try adding a swirl behind the monogram and that I offset (angle) the letter. So after playing with a few different swirls I settled on the one you see and I did offset the letter. But instead of just putting the swirl behind the letter it goes all the way around the napkins edge.

There are a few things that I would do differently if I had these to re-do but all in all I am pleased with the way they turned out. They are not my taste but they are well put together and amazingly (since I have had a ton of practice recently) almost all exactly the same size!

I am pretty sure if you click on the photo it will enlarge it.
Here is the gift box that the napkins will be sent in. Originally it was a bronzish brown box with a brown ribbon. I loved the floral texture that somewhat emulated the swirl I used on the napkins. The final effect I got was not what I was originally going for but some accidents are good.

The plan was that I would paint the entire box silver let it dry and then go over that with a wash of black and wipe off the "raised" area's leaving them silver and the remainder of the box black. Well, it didn't wipe off as well as I expected but I really love the pewter type finish it gave the box.

The ribbon I had to paint also so it is a little stiff but it still made a nice bow and it is much better than if I had tried to replace it.


Here is a close up of the napkins from the above picture. I tied them together with a black organza ribbon.

Below you can see a larger photo of the close up of the swirls and letter "r". You can also see more of the silver paints that I used on the napkins. This time I used two various shades giving the napkins even more depth.

I really hope the customer and the receiver likes this set.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks wonderful and Im sure the customer will love it!
I dont know if its just me but the photo's didnt enlarge...shame as I would have loved a closer look at the box.

LazyKay said...

The picture wouldn't enlarge for me but I do sometimes find that with blog pictures so it may be my computer.

That said, from what I see, these look really classy and a good idea for a project I've got in mind too.

Thanks for the inspiration.

xxxxx

Flippinpest said...

Really elegant and classy work. I am sure that the customer was thrilled!