Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith

I was watching TV the other day and saw a commercial for "The Vampire Diaries" a new series coming to the CW this Fall. I vaguely recalled the name and realized that it was a book I had on my To Be Read pile. So I read it.

Well, I was not into the book at all. However my complaints with the book will not bother me in a Television show.

The female character was a popular snob and the main male character seemed a bit week to me (I don't think this will be the case in the TV show). The romance also did not seem very believable, I think mainly because of Elena's personality. She goes after him as if he is a possession that she must have, not out of love and then all of a sudden she is head over heals in love with him.

As I already said the problems I found with the book will not bother me in a television show. When I sit down to watch TV (seldom) I like to be totally brain fried. I think in my reading I like my characters to have more substance and for the plot to be more believable.

When I started this book I was all set to go out and purchase the next (and last) in the series but now I think I will just wait for it. I am number 82 in line on Paper Back Swap. I do not see the Television show going beyond the first book in its first Season.

2 comments:

DMG said...

Very chic, Magnolia Queen! I give a lot of my work to my sister too. Sisters are always so supportive!

Autumn said...

Yes, I read this series as a pre-teen and loved it, but I'm currently reading the first book and thinking, "How could I have liked this?" Beyond what you pointed out, Elena is selfish, self-absorbed, and egotistical. I don't know why her friends put up with her. Now I'm rooting for Caroline, the one of her friends who grew a brain and stopped following her like a sheep.