Friday, October 4, 2013

666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce

What if your mother-in-law turned out to be an evil, cold-blooded witch . . . literally?

Ever since fabulously wealthy Malcolm Doran walked into her life and swept her off her feet, fledgling architect Jane Boyle has been living a fairy tale. When he proposes with a stunning diamond to seal the deal, Jane can't believe her incredible luck and decides to leave her Paris-based job to make a new start with Malcolm in New York.

But when Malcolm introduces Jane to the esteemed Doran clan, one of Manhattan's most feared and revered families, Jane's fairy tale takes a darker turn. Soon everything she thought she knew about the world—and herself—is upended. Now Jane must struggle with newfound magical abilities and the threat of those who will stop at nothing to get them.
 


With the streak of bad books I've been reading I wanted to pick something up that would be light and most likely something I would enjoy.  Well, I enjoyed the TV show 666 Park Avenue, so why not try the book?
 
The book is nothing like the TV show!  And when I say nothing I mean literally the only thing that is the same is the name of the heroine and the city it takes place in.  But this is not a review of the TV show vs. the book, so onto my book review.
 
666 Park Avenue is a bit unfocused.  It seems to me that Gabriella Pierce was trying to write a romance, a paranormal and a chic lit book all in one and instead of getting the formula right it ended up lacking on all fronts.  The romance line is unbelievable.  Without giving anything away, Malcolm does some things that would make any girl run for the hills but Jane forgives and forgets and plows forward with their marriage.  It's hard to swallow and makes Jane out to be a very week character.
 
On top of that Jane never stands up for herself.  She allows her mother-in-law to plow over all of her wedding wishes.  It is so bad that it is hard to read.  I just wanted to reach into the book and throttle some sense and spine into Jane.  Another unforgivable flaw is that Jane accepts that she is a witch way to easily.  She never has that "witches aren't real" moment or the "how can I be a witch" she just says oh, okay. 
 
***Spoiler***
There were two components of this book that screamed unoriginal to me.  In the house is a giant family tree tracing only the females for the family, Anne Rice did that in The Queen of the Damned and then there is a family member hidden in the attic, hello Jane Eyre. 
 
I hate to say it but the TV show was far more interesting and had much stronger characters.  I'm sad that it has been canceled.  Regardless of all the negative things I have said, this was the type of book I needed, a light don't have to think about it read.  I am also not opposed to reading the other books in this series. 

I'm linking up, come join us! 
 photo ArtatHomeButton_zps18898da7.jpg

1 comment:

Ricki Treleaven said...

Guuuuuurrrrrrlllllllll!!!! We need to find you some good books ASAP! Have you read The Tenth Gift yet? Or The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane? They're both really good.

Thanks for linking-up. I haven't seen this show yet. Maybe I need to watch it if it's on Netflix or AppleTV.

xo,
RJ