Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Deception of the Emerald Ring



I discovered this series a number of years ago but have been taking my time to read through them. The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig is the third book in this series.

One of the reasons I am attracted to this series is the format she writes in. There are two story lines, the present day and the historical line. Each book neatly wraps up the historical story line but she leave you wanting more by leaving the present story line unfinished.

Each of the three books I have read so far has offered something that I truly enjoy. The first book The Secret History of the Pink Carnation is my favorite story so far, The Masque of the Black Tulip is my favorite love story so far. The Deception of the Emerald Ring built up the suspense from The Masque and continued the suspense of the present day story line.

All in all The Deception of the Emerald Ring is my least favorite so far but not a reason to skip over it. I thought Eloise, the heroin in the present story, was a bit mopey. I was also not a huge fan of the romance line, it is probably a much more practical and possible romance set in those times but I just thought it lacked something.

I have discovered a new and totally addictive web site, introduced to me my Lauren herself. StoryCasting is dedicated to casting books. Here is my cast for this book.

Geoff = Jude Law
Letty = Scarlett Johansson
Jane Wooliston = Natalie Portman
Jasper Pinchingdale = Cillian Murphy
Emily Gilchrist = Jena Malone
Lord Vaugn = Guy Pearce
Marquise de Montval = Natalie Dormer

This is not all the characters...but the ones that I could think of an actor/actress that I thought suited the character.

You can read an excerpt of Lauren's web site HERE

I can't wait to get my hands onto the next book, The Seduction of the Crimson Rose.

No comments: