Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Mermaid Altered Tart Tin Trinket Box

 Tart tins are so pretty.  You can do practically anything with them and end up with a gorgeous piece.   Because of this it is hard to think outside the box sometimes, but that is what I tried to do, use the shabby chic tins in a new way. 
 These tins came all shabby chiced up which left me with two ideas, vintage little girls or mermaids and y'all know how much I loves me some mermaids.  This image is from the Carribean Blue Mermaids Collage Sheet.
 Around her I added clear acrylic sprays, pearls, and leaf ribbon.  
To create the blue spray I took 22 gauge wire and coated it with hot glue.  While the glue was drying I mixed three different colors of micro beads - Aqua, White and Turquoise, in a small container. next I coated the dried (and bumpy) hot glue with  a thick fast drying glue and rolled it in the micro bead mixture.  Ever so gently I pressed the beads into the glue and set it aside to dry.  
 Because every jewelry box opening has something pretty by it I made some architectural flourishes with hot glue, so they would shape to the tin, painted them with coordinating paint to match the tin.  A few tiny read seashells and a brass charm finish off the opening. 
 Inside I covered the top and bottom with paper from the Star Crossed collection.  I know that someone someday will put something pretty inside these tins but until then when you open it a brass fish, bead filled glass vial and pearls decorate it.  
Thank you for stopping by.  
This piece is available in my Etsy Store.

3 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This is so pretty, Caroline! It looks just like a sea shell! : )

Deb said...

Caroline, that is so lovely, brilliant idea to make the tart tins into a perfect little oyster shell trinket box!

CatieAn said...

oh my what a novel idea for these tart tins an opening seashell...how perfect for your little mermaids.