Friday, February 19, 2010

"The Sweet Far Thing" Not so Sweet....


What an incredibly long book.

What I liked, well, sadly not too much. This story has been going on now for three books and nothing gets resolved until the last 50 pages. So why then are there so many other pages? I think my main problem with this series/book is that the scenes are not long enough. As soon as I felt like I was getting into what was going on the Author moved on. Because of this I had very little attachment to the characters.

I do however think that Bray is a very poetic writer. Her descriptions are new and original and very image provoking. For example “…tasting her name on my tongue like an exotic new curry.”

As for the young adult aspect. Today’s teens are faced with a multitude of things and many of them were addressed in this book: cutting, death, sexual orientation, love, betrayal, discovery etc… To me the author spends the most time on the parts of life that all teens experience loved, betrayal and discovery but she does not ignore the more difficult ones however she does kind of gloss over them.

All in all I am glad I read the books but I did not enjoy them as much as I have others.

No comments: