Monday, February 17, 2014

Monday Munchies ~ French Breakfast Puffs

 Today I am sharing one of my all time favorite breakfast treats, French Breakfast Puffs by The Pioneer Woman. 
When I went to look up the recipe I realized that I have made them so many times that I've totally changed the recipe.  So what follows is how I make them.  Google offers The Pioneer Woman Cooks online! But for those of you who love good food and eye candy, this is one of the prettiest cookbooks ever.  She peppers photographs of life on the ranch throughout the book.  It makes a great coffee table book. 
Ingredients:
Muffins
3 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter
1 egg
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup milk
 
Coating
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoon cinnamon
 
Instructions:
French Puff Muffins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
 
Line muffin tin with aluminum cupcake wrappers.  It may sound strange but something about the aluminum cupcake wrappers makes these muffins really puff.
 
1.  In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, slat and nutmeg.
2.  Mix (I use a stand mixer) sugar and butter.
3.  Add egg and applesauce to sugar and butter and mix.
4.  Alternate adding flour and milk
5.  Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full
6.  Bake 20 - 25 minutes
 
Coating
1.  Melt butter in a bowl
2.  combine sugar and cinnamon in another bowl
3.  Dip the top of the muffins first in the butter then in the sugar
 
Enjoy!
What are you cooking?

2 comments:

peggy gatto said...

thanks!

Kimberly at ArtJoyStuff said...

Yummy! I use to make something very similar, I will have to give them a try with gluten-free flour. I'll let you know how they turn out. TFS
enJOY a sweet today,
Kimberly