Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday Munchies ~ Chicken Fried Steak

Last week I shared my altered French Breakfast Puff recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks, today I am going to share a savory recipe with my changes.  Again, this entire cookbook is offered by Google, HERE, but I will reiterate that this book is gorgeous and would make a great coffee table book.
Chicken Fried Steak
Rating
Mr. Glitter Tart gave this one 4 sprinkles of glitter
Mini Me's both ate it all!
I am going to give it a 3, but the next time I make it there will be changes that I know will make it better.
 
Ease?
There is nothing tricky in this one, but it does make a mess, lots of dishes and splattered grease.
From The Pioneer Woman Web site
Ingredients:
3 pounds cube steak
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk and 2 cups milk for gravy
3 cups all purpose flour, plus 1/3 cup for gravy
2 teaspoons seasoned salt (I used Lawry's)
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (we love paprika, if you don't only use 1/2 teasp.)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying (1/4 butter for roux if desired)
 
Instructions:
1.  Beat eggs and 1 cup of milk with a fork in a container you can dredge in.
2.  Combine flour, salt, paprika, red pepper and black pepper, place in a separate container.
3.  Create an assembly line, meat, milk mixture and flour mixture, and a plate to put the floured meat on.
4.  Season meat with salt and pepper
5.  Dip meat into milk mixture, coat completely.  Now drop it into the flour, flip, pat the flour on, possible add some more, just get a good coating.
6.  Do it all over again, milk and then flour and place piece on plate.
7.  Heat the oil
8.  Cook on one side until golden brown about 2 1/2 minutes
9.  Turn them over and cook 2 to 3 minutes
10.  Removed and place on paper towels, or something else to absorb excess grease.
 
Gravy
This is where I made the big changes.
 
Ree makes her gravy with the oil, I say use butter, 1/4 cup.
Sprinkle 1/3 cup of flour over the butter
Whisk until you create a golden brown paste.
My Roux using oil, but I am going to use butter next time.
 Whisking constantly, pour in 2 cups of milk
Bring it to a low boil
Continue whisking until you get the desired consistency
Salt and Pepper the mess out of it.
 
Serve meat, cover it with gravy and enjoy!
So what are you eating?


1 comment:

Debbie said...

This look soooo good! I hope it was