Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Monkey Bread

Okay let's face it, there is nothing pretty about Monkey Bread but oh is it tasty!
Biscuits coated with cinnamon and sugar and butter, yes please. 
 
At first I was going to make my own biscuits but then I remembered my Mama Doris'.
She is the woman that taught me everything I know about baking.  But don't, I repeat, don't eat one of her biscuits.  They are lead! 
Every summer my family would go and visit and she would have biscuits, bacon, eggs and grits for breakfast.  Yum right! 
When my sister and I got older, as did my grandparents, the bacon and eggs started to disappear and wow could you tell how heavy those biscuits were.  And get this...if we didn't eat them she would place them on a dish and put it up in the cabinet for later.  I vividly remember opening the cupboard to get a glass and seeing those biscuits. 
I look back now and smile, I too put uneaten biscuits in the cupboard for later, but mine are store bought. 
Ingredients:
40 Biscuits - homemade or store bought :)
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 cup fine sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
 
Equipment:
Bunt Pan (buttered)
Plastic bag
sauce pan
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Pour Sugar and cinnamon into a plastic bag or a bowl and mix
Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces
coat each biscuit piece with cinnamon and sugar mixture
place each biscuit piece into a pre-greased/buttered bunt pan
Bring brown sugar and butter to a boil on the stove, remove from heat and let sit 10 min
Pour over coated biscuit pieces
Bake 40-45 min
let sit 15 min
flip
enjoy!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh gracious, monkey bread sounds so delicious right now. It is wondeful how making old family recipes can bring back fond memories. Have a beautiful day! Heidi

Ricki Treleaven said...

Monkey bread looks sinful. My oldest daughter Shanley has been talking about wanting to learn how to make monkey bread, so I'm sending her the link to this post!

Oh, and that link you shared is AH-mazing....love it!