Friday, April 16, 2010

Could not put it down...dove into the next book!


If you know me at all you know that I have a weakness for Young Adult Vampire Books (heck it's better than bodice rippers...not that I don't read one or two of those every now and then). Well, I think this is my favorite so far, yep, I liked it more than Twilight!

Why, How, OMG...you may be saying what could topple the great works of Stephanie Meyer??? Well, Caine's writing is very different, not so beautiful. She is down and dirty, her characters are flawed (like teens and everyone are) her setting is dark (but only in the shadows b/c vampires don't want their existence publicly known) and the situations play out the way they probably would in real life.

Real Life! You say, what is real about Vampires. Well, nothing but there is a lot real about teens and how they react with one another. In this novel Caine's heroin is brutally teased and then ends up in a fist fight (a number of times) with the "bad guys". The romance line builds very slowly which in my opinion was the right approach a sixteen year old with a nineteen year old is a bit of a touchy situation (I should know I've been there). Caine handled it exquisitely.

I could go on and on but I will leave you with this. Caine does not wrap up the book in a nice neat little package...I actually went searching for the second one with a flashlight at midnight to see what happened to one of the characters. Talk about a cliffhanger! I am now over 50 pages into The Dead Girls Dance and it is even better...so far.

No comments: