Monday, July 27, 2009

1st Communion Prayers


A few years ago one of the Diva's Adopted her son and asked me to decorate an adoption poem. Well, I guess she really liked my work because as a commemorative gift for her nieces going through First Communion she asked me to come up with three different designs for this poem.

Lord Jesus Christ, in the Sacrament of
the Eucharist You left us the outstanding
manifestation of your limitless love for us.
Thank You for giving this child the
opportunity to experience this love
in receiving the Sacrament for the first time.
May your Eucharist presence keep her
ever free from sin, Fortified in faith,
pervaded by love for God and neighbor,
and fruitful in virtue, that she may
continue to receive You throughout her life.
Amen.

It took me a little while to come up with three separate designs but I am pleased with all of them and think they are all very very different and because of that there is no way I can pick a favorite.

The top poem was the first one I put together. I used a dark blue solid paper as the background and randomly silver embossed the stars. The white paper in the center has been brushed with various shades of Twinkling H2O's. I broke the poems spacing up a bit more and increased the font size the further down the poem went which I think gives it a really nice effect. The clouds at the bottom are also brushed with the Twinkling H2O's and one set it slightly raised. As a finishing touch I added some flocking to the doves and used a fuzzy thread to outline the writing.

The poem on the right I used a decorative background paper on that has a few shades of blue and some swirls on it. To enhance the paper I copper embossed (half of it hand drawn) the ribbons on the sides. The angel was stamped and then colored with colored pencils. Her wings are also covered with flocking like the above doves and I used the same fuzzy thread to sew on the strips of paper with the poem typed on them. To finish this poem off I added two white feathers on the bottom with the recipients name on top.


This design is the first design that I came up with and it is what I made the marbled paper for (over a month ago). I did a little research into what old bible pages looked like. This is the closest I could get with my abilities. The background is stained an old linen and over stamped with a crackle stamp in tea die. This is the only poem that I directly printed to paper. The Letter "L" is black embossed on gold velum that I also stamped a very linear design on and highlighted portions of. The angel in the bottom left I thought was stunning and couldn't leave off even though she is a collage image and not something I made. As a finishing touch I added a few medallions that I painted with Twinkling H2O's to match the marbled paper.

I do hope that the girls receiving these poems love them and that the wonderful woman who I made them for is happy with how they turned out.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

These are lovely.

Jeanette

I've missed joining in OPH but I'm getting my new computer set up. Just a little behind on everything else.